Small Review is hosting an event called 'Busting the Newbie Blues', which is all about helping new YA book bloggers. For info, go here.
This event is designed to:
- Put new YA book bloggers on the map.
- Increase blogger interaction
- Start a discussion by sharing our experiences as a new blogger
- Learn about what it was like for all those impressive established blogger when they were newbies.
So, we had a to pick a questionnaire to answer, and I chose the 'New Bloggers' one.
1. When did you start your blog?
I started my blog in February using Wordpress, but I didn't like the way it was set up, so moved to Blogger, where I could have more freedom to make my blog how I wanted it to be. So, Cheezyfeet Books was started on 1st July 2010.
2. Why did you start your blog?
I was bored one day, and I wanted to make a site where I could recommend books to friends. I never set out to review books, but it just sort of happened. And I'm very glad it did!
3. What has been the biggest challenge you've faced so far?
When I first started blogging, I found it very difficult to get people to visit my blog, and for the first month or so I had very little visitors, and never got any comments. I almost gave up because I didn't want to take time posting reviews when no one was going to read them. When I got my first few followers though, I was so happy, and it just motivated me more to keep going.
4. What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?
Um. There's nothing really discouraging about it, just that when you go to other people's blogs, and they have loads of followers, and loads of comments, and you don't, it's quite hard not to be jealous... :L
5. What do you find most encouraging?
It has to be all the wonderful people out there who help! People who host memes, people who hold events and giveaways, and just generally the people who take the time to read your posts and make meaningful comments. They make it all feel worthwhile. =]
6. What do you like the best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog?
The thing I love most is the fact that every single blog is completely different. I love how everyone's blog reflects their personality, and I've tried to make my blog as much like me as possible.
7. What do you dislike about blogs you've read? Do you try to avoid this?
I don't particularly dislike anything about blogs, because I know that people, if they're like me, then they spend an awful lot of time working on their blogs, making them the way they are now, so I try not to dislike anything. However, I try to keep my sidebars un-cluttered, because sometimes if you have a sidebar or two filled with too many cool things, then the readers just get distracted from the actual posts, so I try and keep my sidebars tidy. Doesn't stop me from having a few countdowns and buttons though... :L
8. Any advice for other new bloggers?
Um... Keep at it, and if you feel like giving up, (like I did) don't because it will be so worth it! =]
9. Anything else you'd like to share about your experience?
Just that I really enjoy doing it, and I actually can't remember what I did before I spent ages reviewing books, and commenting on people's blogs... And that I love all the awesome people who helped me get where I am now!
10. Is there anything you'd like to tell us about your blog?
Well, lots of people have been asking why I called my blog 'Cheezyfeet' Books, and the answer is, ever since I was little, I've always been known as Cheezyfeet on the internet, and my email addresses and MSN, etc. It's not because I have cheesy feet, because I don't (I hope!), it's just, that I have always been Cheezyfeet, and I cannot remember what started it. It just is that way, and I thought it seemed appropriate at the time. =]
So thank you to Small Review for hosting this event, I think it's a great way to help new bloggers, and it should be great fun! =]