Skip to main content

Book Review: Kill All Enemies by Melvin Burgess

Kill All EnemiesTitle: Kill All Enemies
Author: Melvin Burgess
Series: N/A
Pages: 271
Publisher: Penguin Books
Date of Publication: 1st September 2011
Source: Publisher
Synopsis from Goodreads: Everyone says fourteen-year-old Billie is nothing but trouble. A fighter. A danger to her family and friends. But her care worker sees someone different. Her classmate Rob is big, strong; he can take care of himself and his brother. But his violent stepdad sees someone to humiliate. And Chris is struggling at school; he just doesn't want to be there. But his dad sees a useless no-hoper. Billie, Rob and Chris each have a story to tell. But there are two sides to every story, and the question is ...who do you believe?


My Thoughts:
I wasn't sure what I was going to think about Kill All Enemies before I read it. On the one hand, it sounded really interesting and I was curious to find out about what the 'troublesome' kids thought when they were fighting, or running away etc, but on the other hand I'd never read anything like it before, and I was a little bit apprehensive. But, I thought I may as well give it a go, as I like to try new things every once in a while. And I'm glad I did, because Kill All Enemies was awesome.

The book focuses on three different characters - Billie, Chris and Rob. Billie has a reputation for being trouble, always getting involved in fights, and even her mother doesn't want her. Chris wants to be an entrepreneur - he thinks school is a waste of time, he just wants to get out into the world and make money. And lastly Rob, he's big and stong, and he can take care of himself and his brother, until his violent stepdad gets involved, that is. All three of these characters are much more than they seem, and I loved reading about them.

My favourite of the three kids to read about had to be Billie. Even though I didn't understand her at the beginning, couldn't understand why she would get into fights because of something small, I believed that there was a reason for how she acted, and I kept an open mind about her, and slowly, I began to understand. Once I found out the reasons behind her constant fighting, I realised how hard she was trying and how determined she was, and a quote from Hannah (her social worker) summed up my thoughts about her really well:

What is it about that girl? How come we all keep on coming back to her, despite everything she does? She's violent, unpredictable; she's dangerous. And you can't help loving her. ~ pg 144-1445 (UK proof copy)


I think it was Hannah who made me think the most. She is a care worker at the Brant, the place where the kids go when they get kicked out of school. She had a few chapters from her point of view throughout the book, and they made me realise things that I never would have realised before. Small things, like how the kids are actually normal people with normal dreams in life, but something has happened to them that means they react to things differently and have different thoughts to the 'non-troublesome' kids at school. Or, that the kids are actually heroes, as Hannah so wonderfully puts here:

Those kids, to me, they're not troublemakers - they'e heroes. Proper, real-life heroes. Giving up their chances in life to make sure that the people who are important to them are properly cared for - that's heroic, isn't it? - pg 179 (UK Uncorrected Bound Proof edition)

Then there were Rob and Chris. Their two stories interwove together brilliantly throughout the book - from the start where Chris is a bully to Rob, to the end when they are really good friends. Rob was probably the one that I related to most - if I was bullied like he was at school, I probably would just have let them do it, and not fight back, just like him. And I understood why he couldn't tell his mum what his stepdad was doing to him - he was SO caring, and didn't want to do anything to hurt his mum or his brother, but people just couldn't see that... It made me sad, and a little angry. And Chris, he just wanted to get on with his life - he didn't see the point of school, as there was nothing to learn that would benefit his future career. He was probably the one who was least likely to get into trouble, but he ended up being the one who got hurt. I felt sorry for him, and I'm glad the ending worked for him. ;)

The only thing that I can fault is that the ending felt unrealistic and a little bit rushed. I really liked it, the idea was brilliant and it was the happy ending that I wanted, I just think that Melvin could have maybe taken a couple more pages just to space it out a little bit, and not make it so rushed. In my opinion, anyway.
Overall though, I'd recommend this to all YA contemporary fans. This was my first Melvin Burgess book, and I don't think it'll be my last. Described as 'Hard-hitting, shocking, powerful' and I'd agree with that. So buy yourself a copy, if you're looking for something that will truly make you think :)


My Rating:
I give it 4 Feet!

Challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge #69

Comments

  1. Great review! I will have to check this one out! New follower here :)

    Amy @ Following The Reader

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul