Skip to main content

In My Mailbox #10

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. All synopses are from Goodreads :D

FOR REVIEW


          


Die For Me by Amy Plum
(Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins!)

DIE FOR ME is the first of three books about Kate, a sixteen-year-old American who moves to Paris after the death of her parents. It introduces a new version of the undead with revenants, beings who are fated to sacrifice themselves over and over again to save others’ lives. Kate finds herself falling for Vincent, who she discovers is not the typical French teenager he appears: he is something else entirely.


This one sounds incredible. Sounds like a very promising start to a new series :D

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
(Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins!)

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.



This one sounds awesome! I was so happy when I got this, doesn't it sound awesome? And the cover is possibly one of my favourite so far in 2011 :D

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott
(Thanks to Simon & Schuster Galley Grab programme!)

Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.

Until the accident.

Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.

She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.

Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could...



I've decided that I should mix up my reading a bit, and read some contemporary YA fiction, and have a little break from paranormal :L Here's the first of three galleys I got this week from Simon and Schuster.

Incredibly Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
(Thanks to Simon & Schuster Galley Grab programme!)

Get ready to start your own incredible, amazing life…right?
Alice McKinley is standing on the edge of something new—and half afraid she might fall off. Graduation is a big deal—that gauntlet of growing up that requires everyone she’s known since forever to make huge decisions that will fling them here and there and far from home. But what if Alice wants to be that little dandelion seed that doesn’t scatter? What if she doesn’t have the heart to fly off into the horizon on the next big breeze? And what if that starts to make her feel like staying close to home means she’s a little less incredible than her friends—and her boyfriend Patrick?

Sometimes the bravest thing you can do is be honest with yourself—and sometimes the most incredible thing you can do is sneak a little fun into all this soul-searching.


The second contemporary I got, I love the cover! It's not got a very good Goodreads rating though, so I thought I'd give it a try and see what I think :)

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
(Thanks to Simon & Schuster Galley Grab programme!)

Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss?

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....

Not your typical beach read.


Another contemporary that I thought sounded quite good...

Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury
(Thanks to Simon & Schuster Galley Grab programme!)

Agnes Wilkins is standing in front of an Egyptian mummy, about to make the first cut into the wrappings, about to unlock ancient (and not-so-ancient) history.
Maybe you think this girl is wearing a pith helmet with antique dust swirling around her.

Maybe you think she is a young Egyptologist who has arrived in Cairo on camelback.

Maybe she would like to think that too. Agnes Wilkins dreams of adventures that reach beyond the garden walls, but reality for a seventeen-year-old debutante in 1815 London does not allow for camels—or dust, even. No, Agnes can only see a mummy when she is wearing a new silk gown and standing on the verdant lawns of Lord Showalter’s estate, with chaperones fussing about and strolling sitar players straining to create an exotic “atmosphere” for the first party of the season. An unwrapping.

This is the start of it all, Agnes’s debut season, the pretty girl parade that offers only ever-shrinking options: home, husband, and high society. It’s also the start of something else, because the mummy Agnes unwraps isn’t just a mummy. It’s a host for a secret that could unravel a new destiny—unleashing mystery, an international intrigue, and possibly a curse in the bargain.

Get wrapped up in the adventure . . . but keep your wits about you, dear Agnes.



This one sounds pretty good, and I love that cover, it's so fun, yet slightly creepy :L







(Thanks to House of Lore Publishers!)

No sickness, No injuries, No pain, No limits.

If you had the power to heal, what would you do?

For fifteen-year-old Ada discovering that she can heal feels more like a curse than a gift. When she learns of the mystery surrounding her mother's disappearance, and sees the indifference of so-called friends, she sets out for Paris to find her.

The power to heal protects her, but also has her hunted by a man who sees her as nothing more than his fountain of youth. Ada realizes her true power is her will to survive, and that her only chance at freedom is to become the best at escaping.

Ada hasn't grown up in a house with a white picket fence. Instead she was cast off and absorbed into the foster care system, quickly putting up a shield of hostility. Always knowledgeable of the sicknesses of those around her and never getting hurt just seemed like facts of life. Finally on her last strike of trouble, an estranged aunt comes to the rescue, giving Ada the knowledge of how to use her healing power. Now Ada, who up to this point has shunned the world, all of the sudden has the power to heal it.

I really liked this book, and the artwork inside was incredible. You can read my review here


BOUGHT








The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker

Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...


I'm halfway through this now, it's so good! Absolutely love it, after who all, who doesn't love a main character with pink hair?!

Afterlife by Claudia Gray

Having become what they feared most, Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They must return to Evernight Academy, Lucas as a vampire and Bianca as a wraith. But Lucas is haunted by demons, both personal and supernatural. Bianca must help him fight the evil inside him, combat the forces determined to drive them apart—and find the power to claim her destiny at last.

Readers have fallen in love with Bianca and Lucas, and they will be thrilled to read this exciting conclusion to their romantic adventure.



I really can't wait to see how this series finishes! Hourglass finished on a huge cliffhanger, and I've been waiting to read this for such a long time! Should be awesome!

BORROWED






I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
(Thanks to my friend from school for letting me borrow this!)

In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.



I'm quite excited to read this one, though it sounds pretty predictable. Must read it soon though, because I want to read it before I see the movie, which hopefully I'll get to see soon. Or I might just wait for the DVD :L

LIBRARY






Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.



I'm not really sure about how this one's going to be, but I loved the Uglies series, and it's dystopian, so I thought I'd give it a try.

House of Night: The Fledgling Handbook by PC Cast

Merry meet, fledgling. I trust this guide will serve you well…. Every vampyre fledgling who arrives at the House of Night receives a copy of "The Fledgling Handbook 101", and now, fans can have one, too, with this gorgeous must-have edition. Inside you’ll find original stories, the complete vampyre history, inside info into rituals, vamp biology, and the Change, and much more.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think this looks all that great, and while I love the series, I'm not really sure about this one.

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.



I've been waiting for this for a long time, and when I found it on the shelf, I had to get it! Looks awesome, I can't wait to get started! :D

That's what I got in my mailbox in the last 3 weeks or so, I didn't realise I'd got so much to read! :L What did you get? Leave a link in the comments! :D

Comments

  1. I also have Between Here and Forever and Wrapped! I read Starcrossed, it's pretty good!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you got loads! I got most of those e-books as well - gotta love Galley Grab and NetGalley!
    I'm dying to read The Liar Society! It sounds amazing XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of books for one week! I got a few and really any week where I can get at least 1 is a success!

    My IMM will be up tomorrow if you want to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great IMM this week! I'm excited about a few in the S&S grab this month myself! The one I'm most excited about happens to be the the last book in the trilogy and I haven't read any of the others yet! EEEEK! Thank goodness I have the first two. I better get busy before it expires!

    I'm a new follower by the way. ;-)
    My IMM isn't up yet. It will be later tonight or tomorrow morning.
    Have a great week and happy reading.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some really great books. Lucky you. Have fun reading them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books you got this week. Leviathan is really awesome. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh ... Leviathan and I am Number Four. Books I'm hoping to read soon myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prophecy of the Sisters is one of my favorite series! I hope you enjoy it, too! I've really been wanting to read Number Four---I loved the movie!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awsome books this week!!! I think I want to read everyone that you have!!!! Check out my IMM:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am intrigued by the cover of Wrapped - very very pretty.... anyhow, looks like you had a great week! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous book week. I see the stuff from NetGalley & Galley Grab and I seriously covet a Kindle lol
    Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for commenting (:

    Wow, lots of great books this week! I really want to read Between Here and Forever - it sounds amazing! I read a lot of the alice boos when I was younger, but I haven't read any of the newer ones...They were really cute, though! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm listening to The Prophecy of the Sisters on audio book right now, and I find it kind of boring. I wonder though if it has more to do with the narrators voice. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really really want to get Die for Me by Amy Plum. I am getting a copy of Starcrossed, which I'm super excited for.
    Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Liar Society is awesome! And I started Die For Me the other day, it's really good!
    Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow nice reads! Don't you just love all the great e-galleys lately. I know I do. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great books this week. The Liar Society and Between Here and Forever are sooooooo good.
    Happy reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-my-mailbox-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great set! I have Leviathan but haven't read it yet. I really want to read Wrapped and Invincible Summer.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you had a really amazing book week. I am dying to read Starcrossed & Die For Me. Hope you enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh! Between Here and Forever looks absolutely amazing! So does Starcrossed too!
    I totally adored The Liar Society so I hope you love it!
    Happy Reading Bella! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is quite some list to get reading :)

    You have some really good picks!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul