Skip to main content

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Series: The Goddess Test #1
Pages: 297
Date of UK Publication: 19th April 2011
Source: NetGalley and Harlequin Teen
Synopsis from Goodreads: Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.



My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book. It was completely different to anything else I'd ever read, but it was a good retelling of Persephone's myth.

Kate's mother is dying, and when they move to Eden, things get weird. So when she meets Henry, who magically brought her friend back from the dead, she finds out that she has to spend six months of every year in Henry's huge mansion, as his wife. Of course, she says no. At first. When she finds out her mother may live for a little longer, she jumps at the opportunity. The only thing is, she has to pass a test. All the other girls who took the test have died. If she succeeds though, she'll become immortal in the form of a goddess.

Kate was a good main character, and she told the story well. She was smart, and very selfless, giving up half her life for her mother and friend. I admire her for that. I'm not sure I would be able to spend six months of every year in a huge house with a strange man who has told me that I will be his wife... My only complaint it that while I admire her for it, I think her decision was more than a little silly. She's just met him, yet she goes to live with him? He could be a murderer or rapist... Anyway, though it was unbelievable and silly, I admire her for it. What does that say about me? :P

Henry was one of my favourite characters. He was mysterious and strange, and then all of a sudden, he began to spend time with Kate, and I quickly began to like him. He and Kate were a really good match, and I'm interested to see how their relationship grows in the next book.

The story was well written, and I had no idea who was trying to kill Kate and who had killed all the other girls who tried to pass the tests, and when I read it, I was really surprised! I would never have guessed them, they were so nice and kind...

Anyway, overall, The Goddess Test was a very good debut novel, and I'm sure Goddess Interrupted which is the second book in the series will be just as good, if not better.


My Rating:
I give it 4 Feet!


Challenges:
2011 Debut Author Challenge #9
2011 e-Book Challenge #9
2011 100+ Reading Challenge #24

Comments

  1. Glad you liked it! I read it awhile back and totally loved it! I love Greek Mythology so this was definitely a book I had to read early. And is still one that I have to go out and buy as soon as it releases next week.

    Which is also when my review goes up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really intrigued now! This one is next on my list to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul