Skip to main content

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl


In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets...
There is a girl.
Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head... Green eyes, black hair.
Lena Duchannes.
There is a curse.
On the sixteenth moon, of the sixteenth year, the book will take what it's been promised.
And no one can stop it.
In the end there is a grave.
Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed, and, on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.
Ethan never even saw it coming.
- From the back of the book.

Why does everything in the YA paranormal romance genre get billed the next Twilight? Beautiful Creatures, even before publication had been getting lots of comparisons to Twilight. The authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl have already been given a movie deal, also brings people to the conclusion that it must be the new Twilight. Beautiful Creatures, though, in my opinion, is the better of the two series.

Beautiful Creatures is good. Really good. The best thing about it is the amazing world that has been created. It's magical and original, and has the sense of a real place. It has a gothic, Southern setting and has Civil War re enactments, and long family histories, going back generations. The authors capture what it's like to live in a small village perfectly, and readers can relate to that, even if they do not live in a small village themselves.

Ethan and Lena are typical teenagers. They are my favourite characters in the book, although occasionally they're annoying. Which is just typical teenage behaviour. Lena is different from other young adult heroines, though she does have a tendency to mope around in her room all day. Ethan is bored of his town, and wants something interesting to happen, and that's exactly what he gets. Teen readers will definitely be able to relate to Ethan and Lena, something I think is really important in a YA book.

The ending disappointed me though. I have to say, by the end, I was ready for an amazing finale, and it didn't deliver. I was all ready for the birthday of the century, but the ending was all about setting up the next book, rather than the actual birthday.

Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it to all paranormal romance fans, teen or adult, and I think Twilight fans will also love it. The second book, Beautiful Darkness is coming out in October, and I can't wait!

I give it 4 Feet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox #14

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi from The Story Siren. BOUGHT       Divergent by Veronica Roth It was a complete surprise when I got this in the mail, it's not meant to be out until May 3rd so when I got it early from Amazon, I was extremely excited! Read it in two days, it's awesome! It is so good, you really have to read it! Bite Club by Rachel Caine Again, I was surprised when this came because it's also not meant to be out until May 3rd... Amazon have been sending things out early! Oh well, I'm not complaining :) I'll be reading this as soon as I finish The Girl in the Steel Corset, can't wait, The Morganville Vampires series is one of my favourites and this is book 10! :) The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E Pearson I bought this one because it was £0.89 for Kindle, and I've heard good things about it :) Can't wait to read it, especially as it's dystopian! FOR REVIEW    The Day Before   by Lisa Schroeder I'm really excite...

Book Blogger Hop #4

It's that time again, for the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Jennifer at Crazy For Books! It gives bloggers a chance to hop around and find some awesome new blogs to follow! I frequently find new books that I need to read, and it's a great way to make new friends! Click the link above to sign up! =] Where is your favourite place to read? Curled up on the sofa, in bed, in the garden? My answer: My favourite place to read is in the corner of our corner sofa in the living room, when my brother is playing the Xbox, because then, I can block out the sounds of him blowing things up and just get lost in a book. I can't read there though if the TV's on, as I'll just end up watching the programme instead! I also like reading in bed, but sometimes I'll find myself drifting off, so I don't read there very often! Blogs visited so far: (Will be added as I visit) Leeswammes's Blog Library Mosaic Jess Hearts Books Lost in Stories Emilie's Book World Amater...

Book Blogger Hop #10 and Follow Friday #5

It's Friday again, so time for the Book Blogger Hop and the Follow Friday! What very popular and hyped book in the blogosphere did you NOT enjoy and how did you feel about posting your review?  My answer: I didn't really enjoy Fallen by Lauren Kate very much, and I'm not sure why, I just didn't. Anyway, I wasn't really sure how to post my review, but I ended up saying why I didn't like it, but also all the parts I thought were good. I always try and post my honest opinion, and if I didn't like a particular book, I will try and say so in the nicest way possible, saying what the good bits were too. Because a book can't be all bad, can it?  What do you do besides reading/reviewing as a hobby? My answer: Although reading takes up a lot of my time, I do do other things... I play the flute, and am currently on Grade 6 so that takes up a lot of my time too... And apart from reading and reviewing on my blog, I don't really do much else. I listen to a ...