Skip to main content

Book Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)Title: Goddess Interrupted
Author: Aimee Carter
Series: Goddess Test, #2
Pages: 304
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Date of Publication: 27th March 2012
Source: netGalley*
Synopsis from Goodreads: Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it. Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.Henry's first wife, Persephone.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed The Goddess Test, so I was excited to read Goddess Interrupted. I thought it was good, but it was a definitely a case of Second Book Syndrome. I did like it, but not nearly as much as the first book.

I didn't really like Kate that much. I liked her in the first book, but ever since she became immortal, she seems to have become a bit pathetic and extremely needy. She can't seem to function without Henry by her side, and this sucks because for the majority of the book she's pining after him, unsure as to whether or not he loves her, even though it's blindingly obvious that he does.

Henry annoyed me too. I get that he was going through a lot, and I know he was all unhappy because Persephone had left him, but I thought he'd got over that, and having married someone new, he shouldn't be allowed to go back to being completely and utterly in love with his ex. I just wanted Persephone to go away and leave Kate and Henry to get along, as a happily married couple.

I did however, really like the plot. It was exciting and I had to keep reading to find out what happened - I needed to know whether Kate and Henry would survive every run in with Calliope and/or Cronus that they had. I liked that it took place in the Underworld, and I loved how we got to know a lot more about Henry and all the other gods' world.

The ending leaves you in a really annoying place - there's a rather large cliffhanger, even though I didn't really understand what happened at the end... I don't think I'm meant to though! (or I might have just missed something really huge ;P )

Overall though, if you enjoyed The Goddess Test, I think you will probably enjoy Goddess Interrupted too. While it didn't quite live up to my expectations, I'm still excited to read the last book, Goddess Inheritance, to see how the story ends, and I'd recommend you read this series if you're a fan of YA paranormal, or Greek mythology retellings.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading The Goddess Test. It's a shame Goddess Interrupted wasn't as good. I'm really eager to read it however. I want Henry! Thanks for the review Bella :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul