Skip to main content

Book Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)
Title: The Immortal Rules 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden, #1
Pages: 485
Publisher: MIRA Ink
Date of Publication: 24th April 2012
Source: Publisher*
Synopsis from Goodreads: Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

My Thoughts:
So, as you may (or may not) know, one of my favourite series EVER is The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. Her writing is flawless and her stories are weird and wonderful, and I could get lost in those books for hours without getting even slightly bored. So when I heard that she was writing a dystopian, with vampires, no less, I could hardly contain my excitement. Seriously, one of my favourite genres with my favourite of all paranormal creatures, written by one of my favourite authors? YES PLEASE!

Allison Sekemoto has to chose between becoming something she's hated her whole life, and death. She doesn't want to die so she chooses to become one of the evil, bloodsucking vampires that she has always hidden from. This decision in itself changed Allison's life and I can't imagine how hard it must have been for her to have to live with hating the very thing that she has now become. I mean, not like she's a real person or anything... ;P

I really loved the plot. I loved how it changed and became something completely new by the end of the book, if that makes sense. At first, I thought it was going to be something that it totally wasn't, like, it changed in ways I didn't expect and that made it exciting and kept me hooked. It was great seeing how Allie tried to hide her vampireness from Zeke and Jeb and all the humans - and it was interesting how different a take on vampires Julie Kagawa took.

Which brings me to my next point. I felt that while reading The Immortal Rules, I was reading about a whole different species of vampire. Maybe it's just because I haven't actually read any proper vampire books where they are bloodsucking monsters (which is probably the case and I will admit that) but they are so much more interesting this way! Seriously, why I ever though sparkly vampires were awesome I have absolutely no idea...

There's more I could say, but not without spoiling it, so I'll just say this: If you're getting tired of young adult vampire books, pick this one up. It might just change your mind. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series, and it's just as good, if not better, than Kagawa's Iron Fey series. I'd recommend to fans of YA paranormal and/or dystopian, and if you're a fan of Julie Kagawa, it's definitely not one to miss!

Comments

  1. Love your review! I loved this book too, it was SO good! I can't wait for the next one!! :) I loved how it was presented too, how she had to hide her vampirism from Zeke and his family. So many twists and turns too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey, you loved it too! I got the galley and then Amazon sent me an offer last week - buy the paperback for £3.50. Seriously. I dived on it. My bank's overdrawn but hey. new books!

    =^.^= ComaCalm's Corner =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I love the idea behind this book, and it's so great that proper vampires are making their way back! I could never stand all that sparkling nonsense ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with this review! I've been avoiding vampire books like the plague because most of the time they aren't the bloodsucking variety but those kinds of vampires are AWESOME! Plus the whole dystopian + vampires concept? LOVED IT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this on my kindle on special offer. Really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I need to get to Barnes and Noble! I've been waiting for this since it came out, since Iron Fey is one of my favorite series, and I haven't had the chance to buy it. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read so many GREAT reviews about this book. For some reason this has not been a book that I have thought about reading. I think I need to Change that.

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul